RESTING IN GOD’S LOVE



- Pst. Gavin Aleogho 
 
Just recently, I was listening to Bob Fitts. As usual, whenever I listen to such an old collection of songs it brings back memories of the “good old days” of when I was still trying you get my feet in the faith. Such songs greatly shaped my view about the faith.
 
I remember how I usually keenly listened to these songs. The lyrics of these songs are powerful. Thanks to the fact that the lyrics of such songs usually come along with the cassette then. Hence, I was able to easily memorise the lyrics of the songs, giving me a good perspective of God the Father.
 
By the way, Bob Fitts was one of my favourites and he still is. I came to know his song in the late 90s, just a few years after I gave my life to Christ as a young teenager, in the remote town of Monguno in Borno State of Nigeria. 

Below is one of the lyrics of his song, which is the reason for this article.
 
O Lord, your tenderness
 Melting all my filthiness
O Lord, I receive your Love
 
O Lord, your loveliness
 Changing my unworthiness
 O Lord, I receive your love
 O Lord, I receive your love
-Bob Fitts
 
Recently, as I listen to the above song, the Spirit of God begins to call my attention to something very important. And that is the fact that many believers have not learnt to rest in God’s love. There is a lot of struggle among God’s people that is aimed at compelling God to love and favour them; instead of resting on His everlasting love.
 
Then, as a newborn babe in Christ, I could easily relate to the fact of resting in God’s love without doing anything. However, as we make progress in our walk with God, with the increase in knowledge, we tend to forget that it’s the love of the Father that brought us into His kingdom in the first place and it is the same love that will keep us in His favour.
 
We forget that even while we were sinners, He loved us. And because we forget, we begin to think that God’s love for us will be determined by how much we work for him or do something for him. This is a great deception that the devil has used to cheat many of God’s children.
 
In the course of ministry, I discovered that unbelievers and even newborn babes in Christ easily get God’s intervention in their lives. This is based on the fact that such individuals do not base the love of God for them on their many hours of prayers or fasting. Their faith is based on God’s love and not on their good works. Hence, they get God’s intervention cheaply.
 
God’s love for you is not determined by your dos and don’ts. His love is not based on your performance. He had already loved you even before you became born again. Now that you are born again, it has not stopped God from loving you. Being born again ought to give us the privilege to explore the great ocean of God’s love
 
Remember that God is love; that is His nature. Your mistakes and misbehaviour cannot change Him from being love-personified.
 
Yes, I highly recommend that you pray, fast, give, work and engage in various godly acts. However, we should never base our faith on our works of righteousness, but on His eternal love for us.
 
This reminds me of one of such old favourite songs of mine which was derived from Jeremiah 31:3, done by Kent Henry and later sang by Don Moen and other gospel Minstrel. God is saying through that song to you that,
 
“I have loved You
With an everlasting love
I have drawn you
With My loving kindness”
 
When you are able to comprehend the fact that God loves you,
Your fears will vanish away.
Your concerns will give way.
You will find rest.
You will be sure that no battle confronting you can bring you down.
 
For his love drives away fear.
His love brings comfort and assurance.
His love will give you peace amid the storm.
 
Say the following words aloud to yourself several times,
 
God loves me.
I receive the love of the Father.
I rest in God’s love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...