I’M PAINED, CAN YOU HELP ME?



 -Pst. Gavin Aleogho
 
Recently, something bad happened in my neighbourhood that made me sad and angry for some days, now. Before I tell you about what happened, let me give you some background happening around me.
 
Last month of April 2024 our emphasis in YACC was on Sexual Purity. In all of our contacts with our children and teenagers, we did our best empowering them with the truth from God's word on how and why they should keep themselves from sexual Immorality and sexual predators. As a coach to children and young adults, I am aware of the subtle rise of sexual defilement among children and young adults. 
 
You could imagine my shock and anger, that evening when I learned that a girl of 10 years old was sexually molested by a man of thirty-something years old. It is sad to know that this ugly incident happened in one of the streets close to my residence. I was so pained, considering the effort we are putting in these many years, to help these young ones from falling into such an ugly incident.
 
Even though I don't know the child or the perpetrator of the crime in person, I felt a sense of responsibility concerning the matter. Considering the fact that YACC is primarily set up to sensitize children and teenagers so that they don't fall into such vice.
 
Besides other contact locations of YACC, YACC was first set up in my house in 2016 (even before Radiant Saints Church was born), and we’ve been faithfully having monthly meetings with these ones with the aim of helping these young ones in my neighbourhood. And to the glory of God, we've had tremendous testimony in this regard.
 
By the way, YACC stands for "Young Adults Christian Club." It is one of the arms of our ministry that is aimed at helping and equipping children, especially teenagers with the truths of God's word to be on fire for Jesus, so that they will be delivered from the corruption in their generation. We also equip them with godly wisdom so that they can become all that God has designed them to be.
 
Back to the story. I learned that the mother of the girl has charged the case to court, and there is every possibility that the paedophile will be given a sentence of 7-year imprisonment.
 
Why am I writing this?
 
First, it is to speak to every paedophile out there, so that they should know that they stand a chance of imprisonment when they defile a minor. According to Nigerian law, a minor is someone who is less than 18 years old. 
 
I know that many people are unaware of this law. Especially those men who like to flirt with underage. Such men or women who like to go for underage boys/girls stand the chance of having a prison sentence on their heads if their evil is exposed.
 
And for parents, we must learn to speak up so as to constrain these evil ones whom Satan has anointed to destroy the glorious destiny of our rising stars.
 
Saddly, I learned that the mother of this said girl is being approached by some influential people in the area, begging her to drop the case against the paedophile.
 
Personally, I don't agree to that. Yes, I know that I am a Pastor and I preach on love and forgiveness. But I believe the law should have its full effect on the perpetrator of the crime.
 
While the man is serving his prison sentence, I will encourage the mother and the daughter to forgive him, so that the healing process for the child will be fast.
 
Some of my beloved brethren disagreed with my stand. They are of the opinion that if I really claim to understand the mercy of God, I will forgive the man, drop the case, and tell him to "go and sin no more."
 
I disagree with that, for I don't know who his next victim will be. Besides, other paedophiles in the area won't learn their lessons.
 
Well, I will love to read your comment on what you think about my stand from a Christian perspective. Am I being heartless? Are you of the opinion that the mother should be compensated with money for the damage and the paedophile should be set free? How do we strike a balance between showing mercy and allowing the law to take its effect on such criminals?
 
I will be in the comment section, reading your thoughts.
 
Pst. Gavin Aleogho 2024
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...