THE TREASURE IN OLD GOSPEL SONGS

-By Gavin Aleogho
 

After giving my life to Christ, while growing up in faith, I was exposed to divert gospel songs that were sang by different artist especially foreign artists. Today, I may refer to such songs as old songs and to the artist as old-time gospel Artists.

In the process of time, I have come to realize that some old songs have stood out for me, out of my many old collections. They stood out because I found that today, by simply listening to such old songs, beside the memories it brings and the lessons I was taught from them, I am reconnected to my “first love” for Christ.  I don’t think this is peculiar to me alone.

For me, some old-time gospel Artists whose old songs keep ministering to me are: Bob Fitts, Don Moen, Maranatha singers, Michael Smith, Cece Winans songs, Women of Faith, Juanita Bynum. From my country men; I have two people, which are Panam Percy Paul and Wale Adenuga.

Thanks to our contemporary gospel Artists, otherwise known as gospel musicians. I am a fan of most of the present Nigeria contemporary gospel Artist. Some of my favourites are: Sinach, Nathaniel Bassey, David G, Victoria Orenze, Rev. Igho. I must state that beyond the names mentioned here, I have many others, and I believe there are other great “Holy Ghost” filled artist which I don’t know. Thus, I am not saying these are the only best Artists in Nigeria, because even me, I have a credit to an album which you can download for free by clicking on this link.

What informs my choice of artists or gospel songs I listen to?

I look beyond voice, sound production, lyrics or the physical peripherals. Although, this cannot be ignored in making a choice. Beyond these features, I try to look at the level of God a gospel Artist carries. To put it another way, I look at how connected to God he or she is. Does the Artist have a closer walk with the Holy Ghost? I believe, you can only give what you have. Thus, every Artist is inspired based on the level of God he or she carries. One that is full of God will produce a song “out of his belly”, thereby helping me to flow in the presence of God.

Lest I divert your attention to something else, the essence of this article is to help you reconnect back to your “first love” for Jesus by simply listening to they old gospel songs that ministered to you greatly, when you began your walk with God.

It is time to go back to some of your old gospel music collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...