REVIEW YOUR BELIEF SYSTEM


There was a point in my life in the year 2002 when I had my first encounter with Jehovah’s Witnesses, when I heard things from them that were very contrary and challenging to my belief system. I can’t forget that experience because it birthed a new me, it challenged me to know why I believed in what I believed in. Those series of meetings with my friends of the Jehovah’s Witnesses pushed me to study the entire Bible for the first time. It made me to query what I grew up to accept as my tenets of faith. I remembered that I asked a lot of questions that period. I posted crucial questions that pertained to their faith and to the beliefs I held; I also searched the Bible for myself to seek the truth.

I appreciate God for my Sunday School teacher then, Mr Olugbemiga Aliu who was always available at all time to answer my supposedly silly questions. That experience birthed a new me, it laid a solid foundation for me.

I believe everyone needs such experience. You must not have an encounter with a Jehovah’s Witness to push you to study and find out for yourself what and why you believe in what you believed in. However, when you hear things that are contrary to your beliefs, instead of just attacking the contrary view like most people often do, I think such time is an opportunity to set down and ask if you have been deceiving yourself or not. And that should not be based on what you perceived in your own head to be the truth, but it should be based on research with an open and humble mind to learn and change.

It doesn’t matter what background or religion you are coming from, be it Catholicism, Islam, Jehovah Witness, Pentecostalism, Hindu or whatever. A time should come in your life, it’s a time of maturity, when you need to sit down all by yourself and review all that you have been taught, all your beliefs system and critically look at it in comparison to opposing views and contrary beliefs that are opposite to yours and find the balance and the truth for yourself.

This might entails you getting materials of the opposing views. You don’t just study a one sided material; you shouldn’t be biased in your studies. Personally, I have made study on Islam, Pentecostalism, Catholicism, and several Christian Cults and other religions. All these were done to challenge my belief system. I took stock on some doctrinal and religious practise and looked at them in line with the Bible which is the bases of my belief. I did all these to find the truth, not any man’s opinion or acceptable traditions which are contrary to God’s standard.

Scrutinize the doctrines you are holding right now, is it in line with God’s word?

Scrutinize what you have been taught by your great religious leaders like your Pastors, Bishops, General Overseer, Imams, Teachers, Rabbi, Priest, Scholar, Leader, Lord, Prophets, Chief and Grand Master, are they in line with God’s acceptable standard?
Scrutinize the practices and activities in your Church, Mosque, Meeting, Fellowship, Assembly, Shrine, Synagogue, Temple, etc; are they in line with the truth?

Scrutinize the way you pray, is it scriptural? Take for example, if you are one that prays against enemies to die; is that according to God’s acceptable standard who loves all men?

Scrutinize the falsehood and superstitious believes you have come to accept, is that the truth?

Do you believe that positive confession, prophesies and imagination alone without corresponding action will lead you to greatness? Scrutinize that also, is it according to the truth?


I strongly advice that you go review all your belief system; you will become a better person afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...